November 16, 2010

Shoeboxes and Opportunity

I’m taking a break from transcribing to write a short update and share a little inspiration.

This last week I’ve been rushing about Valparaíso trying to organize a passage to the Juan Fernandez Islands. I’m here in Chile with a grant from Middlebury Fellowships in Environmental Journalism, writing about the recovery process on the islands after the tsunami last February (triggered by the earthquake in central Chile).

Well, with the help of some new and old friends, I secured passage with the Chilean Armada and will head out on November 25th for a month’s stay in my new tent, to return for the holidays and a visit from my sister, Laurie, from Scotland!

I’ve been conducting several interviews, or conversations, continent-side before I depart – speaking with politicians, environmental ministry, philosophers, and architects about development and reconstruction on the island of Robinson Crusoe (Defoe’s famous novel was based on the experience of one Alexander Selkirk on this island in the 1700s). When the wave hit in the early morning hours of February 27, the entire coastal infrastructure was destroyed, tombs were ripped from the ground, 16 people lost their lives. As the islanders (680) grapple to rebuild, transform and construct a sustainable future, there’s a common thread that’s running throughout the conversations I’ve had: In destruction, disaster, also lies opportunity.

I’ve spent a lot of time with a group of Swedish documentary film/radio/print students through my wonderful housemate Lova, taking a few dance classes, lots of hill walking -- and have been trying to take advantage of the International Forum being hosted through the month of November – lectures, exhibitions, film, arts. This last weekend I had some interviews in Santiago and spent a few days with some friends of my wonderful friend Danielle Koplinka-Loehr, Juan, Daniela, Nati and Dani's family. It just so happened that my visit coincided with a baptism (these are all-night, ponche-drinking, guitar playing affairs, just watch out for when they sing your año) and a birthday party. I also had a chance to attend one of Juan's orchestra rehearsals (he's a violinist and conductor) - not to be missed. Can't get Mack the Knife out of my head!

Last week I spent several hours in the metro station walking through “Laberinto de Miradas” an incredible exhibition of Ibero-American photographers – flooding the otherwise dram subway station with great washes of color and movement.

Here are a few of my favorites:

Raul Cañibano Ercilla:


André Cypriano:


And Alex Carvalho, “Caixa de Zapata,” or shoe box.

No comments:

Post a Comment